viernes, 16 de noviembre de 2007

Aden

It took me a long time to get to Socotra; therefore, dear reader, you will be just as patient to read things concerning the island.

There are not many planes going between the mainland and Socotra, and the one leaving from Sana’a was the same day I had to do the administrative tour. Therefore, I had to catch it in Aden. Again, the Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies made sure that I would have had a hotel to sleep there one night. “You’ll be fine, they assured, the hotel has a private beach”. Yeah…

Aden gives the name to the gulf in the South of the Arabian Peninsula, but it is also an enormously important port. Many merchant ships from Europe, Asia and Africa stop there to unload any kind of goods.

I was told that the city wasn’t really of any touristic interest so, not being completely stupid, I decided to finish my recovering on the sand of the beach and watch the sunset under a straw umbrella. Aden is also a place where the Yemenis come on their honeymoon and holidays in general, so it was normal to see them sitting on the beach and bathing in the hot sea water. Yemeni women bath like they usually go around in public places: completely covered with a black robe, leaving uncovered only a fin slot for the eyes. Tolerantly, Western women are allowed to sunbath in their bikini. Also, some Chinese were sitting few metres away from me, surely talking business. A special corner, with carpets and a straw roof, is provided to those who want to rest or chew some khat.

Time for dinner and for surprises. “Would you like a cold beer, Sir?” After few seconds of hesitancy, the waiter finished me off: “Amstel? Heineken?” Yes, I definitely wanted a beer, and he left with a smile on his face to get my dinner. When the bill came, I called the waitress (western-style dressed Yemeni) and kindly told her I did not take any “7 USD fruit punch”, and she answered: “Actually, it is the tin of beer you had, Sir!”

Aden is a big port, and in big ports many sins are tolerated, especially if committed by foreigners. But when I shall feel sinful in Aden again, I shall surely ask for the price of a cold beer before having it.

No hay comentarios: